Dr. Asef Bayat
- Address: Department of Sociology
University of Illinois
3086 Lincoln Hall
702 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
- Telephone: (217) 333-1490
- Email: email@example.com
Before joining Illinois, I taught at the American University in Cairo for many years, and served as the director of the International Institute for the Study of Islam in the Modern World (ISIM) holding the Chair of Society and Culture of the Modern Middle East at Leiden University, The Netherlands.In the meantime, I had visiting positions at the Universality of California, Berkeley, Colombia University, Oxford, and Brown.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Political Sociology, Social Movements and Social Change, Religion-politics-everyday life, Islam and the Modern World, and Urban Space and Politics.
My current research concerns an understanding of the Arab revolutions-- historically, comparatively, and sociologically. In particular I am interested in understanding the place of popular classes in these revolutions. I like to narrate the story of these (notably the Tunisian and Egyptian) revolutions from the perspective of subaltern classes.
- Ph.D, Universoty of Kent (UK)
Distinctions / Awards
- Elected as Chair of Islam in the Modern World, University of Leiden; Inaugural Agha Khan Chair of Islamic Humanities at Brown University; Bastian Professor of Global and Transnational Studies, University of Illinois; Fellow of Ford Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, Open Society Institute.
- Global Religion and Politics; Megacities of Global South; Collective Action and Revolution; Middle Eastern Societies and Cultures
- Life as Politics: How Ordinary People Change the Middle East. . 2nd edition: Stanford University Press, 2013.
- Post-Islamism: The Changing Faces of Political Islam. . Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Linda Herrera (eds.), Asef Bayat a. Being Young and Muslim: New Cultural Politics in the Global South and North . . Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Making Islam Democratic: Social Movements and the Post-Islamist Turn. . Stanford University Press, 2007.
- Middle East and Its Subaltern: Politics and Movements. . Istanbul: Iletisim, 2006.
- 1998 Cairo at a Turning Point. . (in Arabic): Cairo University, 1998.
- Street Politics: Poor Peoples Movements in Iran. . Columbia University Press, 1997.
- Work, Politics and Power . . Monthly Review Press, 1991.
- Workers and Revolution in Iran. . Zed Books, 1987.
- "Marginality: Curse or Cure?." Marginality and Exclusion in Egypt. . Ed. Ray Bush and Habib Ayeb. London: Zed Books, 2012.
- "Arab Spring and Its Surprises." Development and Change 44.2 (2013):
- "Areas and Ideas." Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East 33.3 (2013):
- "Revolution in Bad Times." New Left Review (2013):
- "Experiences of an Indigenous Intellectual." Mehr-Naameh (2013):
- "Egypt and the Limits of Refo-lution." Global Dialogue 4.5 (2013):
- "Politics in the City Inside-Out." City and Society 24.2 (2012): 110-128.
- "Interview: Urban Subalterns and the Non-Movements of the Arab Uprisings." Jadaliyya. 26 Mar. 2013.
- "Midwife for a Pregnant Egypt." al-Ahram online. 11 Jul. 2013.
- "Islamic Movements." Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements. New York: Blackwell, 2012.