Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Global History/Iranian Revolution/Islamist Social Movements
My work addresses conceptual, political, and historical significance of the Iranian revolution of 1979. Through this work, I engage with questions regarding the condition of postcolonial modernity in relation to the concepts of religion, public sphere, democracy and governmentallty.
- PhD, University of California
- Global Histories
- Social Theory
- Postcoloniality and Postcolonial Theory
- Orientalism and Its Critics
- Historical Sociology
- Modern Iran
- Comparative Revolutions
- Ghamari, Behrooz. Foucault in Iran: Islamic Revolution after the Enlightenment. . University of Minnesota Press, 2016.
- Ghamari, Behrooz. Remembering Akbar: Inside the Iranian Revolution. . New York/London: OR/Counterpoint, 2016.
- Islam and Dissent in Postrevolutionary Iran. . London, New York: I.B.Tauris, 2008.
- "The Divine, the People, and the Faqih: On Khomeini’s Theory of Sovereignty." A Critical Introduction to Khomeini. . Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- "The Political Hermeneutics of Abdolkarim Soroush." Oxford Handbook of Islam and Politics. . Oxford, London: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- "“’When Life Will No Longer Barter Itself:’ In Defense of Foucault on the Iranina Revolution,” ." A Foucault for the 21st Century: Governmentality, Biopolitics and Discipline in the New Millennium. . Ed. Sam Binkley. New Castle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009.
- "Iran as a Solution Rather than a Problem: The Politics of Reform." Social Change and Dissent in Iran. . Washington, DC: CNA, 2003.
- "Between the Shah and the Imam, the Students of the Left in Iran." Student Protest. . New York: Addison Wesley Longman, 1998.
- Ghamari-Tabrizi, Behrooz. The Iranian Revolution Turns Thirty. . Duke University Press, 2009.
- "Political Spirituality and the Dream of Emancipation: What Foucault Learned in Iran.." Andisheh-ye Puyā 1.5 (2013):
- "Women's Right, Shari'a Law, and the Secularization of Islam in Iran." International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society 26.3 (2013):
- Ghamari-Tabrizi, Behrooz. "Introduction: The Iranian Revolution Turns 30." Radical History Review Fall.105 (2009):
- "Mourning, Memory and Memorializing: The Iranian Veterans of Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)." Radical History Review Fall.105 (2009):
- "Michael Burawoy and the Construction of Public Sociology." Critical Sociology 31.3 (2005):
- "Contentious Public Religion: Two Conceptions of Islam in Revolutionary Iran." International Sociology 19.4 (2004):
- "Loving America and Longing for Home: Isma`il al-Faruqi and the Emergence of Muslim Diaspora in the United States." International Migration 42.2 (2004):
- "Islam and High-Technology: Global Communications and Cultural Re-Inventions." Arab World 1.1 (2001):
- "Islam, Globalization, and Human Rights: The Case of Iran." Political and Legal Anthropology Review 23.1 (2001):
- "Postmodernity and the Emergence of Islamist Movements." International Review of Social History 42.1 (1997):
- "Is Islamic Science Possible?." Social Epistemology Fall.2-3 (1996):
- "“Whose Justice Does Saddam’s Trial Serve?” ." Counterpunch. 22 Oct. 2005.
- "“Can Obama Transcend the Iron Cage of the White House?” ." Counterpunch. 19 Nov. 2008.
- "“Disturbing Opportunism: Change in Iran ought to flourish without external threats of violence and invasion” ." iranian.com. 23 May 2003.
- "“What’s the Matter with Iran? How the Reformists Lost the Presidency” ." iranian.com. 28 Jun. 2005.
- "“Thomas Friedman’s Muslim Problem” ." Counterpunch. 10 Jul. 2005.
- "“When a Cartoon Is Not a Cartoon: What Is Funny about a Demonized Prophet and His Terrorist Followers?” ." iranian.com. 4 Feb. 2006.
- "“The World is not Florida and the US Isn’t Its Supreme Leader” ." Counterpunch. 18 Dec. 2007.
- "“The Donkey and the Date: On the Iranian Municipal Elections” ." Counterpunch. 10 Dec. 2006.
- "“Lost Muslim Voices of Dissent” ." Counterpunch. 6 Dec. 2004.
- "“Playing Politics with Nukes, Is the U.S. on a Collision Course with Iran?” ." Commondreams. 30 Aug. 2004.
- "Six Simple Proposals to Solve the Iranian Nuclear ‘Crisis’” ." Counterpunch (print edition). 20 Apr. 2006.
- "Westernization." Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought. Princeton University Press, 2012.
- "Abdolkarim Soroush." Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World. Macmillan Reference, 2004.
- "Ali Shari'ati." Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World. MacMillan Reference, 2004.
- "Mojtahed-Shabestari, Mohammad." Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World. Macmillan Reference, 2004.
- "Mortaza Motahhari." Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World. MacMillan, 2004.
- Rev. of Ali Mirsepassi, Political Islam, Iran, and the Enlightenment: Philosophies of Hope and Despair International Journal of Middle East Studies 45.1 (2013):
- Rev. of Cyrus Schayegh, Who Is Knowledgeable Is Strong: Science, Class, and the Formation of Modern Iranian Society, 1900-1950 Culture and Social History 8.2 (2011):
- Rev. of Peyman Vahabzadeh, A Guerrilla Odyssey: Modernization, Secularism, Democracy, and the Fadai Period of National Liberation in Iran, 1971–1979 The American Historical Review 116.5 (2011):
- Rev. of Ervand Abrahamian, A History of Modern Iran American Historical Review 32.3 (2010):
- Rev. of Berna Turam, Between Islam and the State: The Politics of EngagementContemporary Sociology 37.1 (2008):
- Rev. of Social Change in Iran, by Behzad Yaghmaian Middle East Journal 56.4 (2002):
- Rev. of States, Ideologies, and Social Revolutions, by Misagh ParsaSocial Forces 81.2 (2002):
- Rev. of An Islamic Utopian: Political Biography of Ali Shari’ati, by Ali RahnemaCritique Spring.16 (2001):
- Transnational Studies
- Social Theory