Valeria Bonatti is a PhD Candidate in the Department of Sociology at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign and instructor of LAS Global Studies. Prior to joining the University of Illinois, Valeria graduated in 2010 with Master of Arts from the University of Naples L'Orientale, where she studied the political activism of middle-class migrants in U.S. presidential elections.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Transnational studies
- Citizenship and Migration
- Environmental Sociology
Valeria's current research examines the role of native and migrant women in the emergence of green economies in the European Union and in the U.S. Midwest. Using ethnographic methods, Valeria highlights the role of gender inequalities and restrictive immigration regimes in containing costs of green reforms for states, cities and industries.
Additional research projects include empirical articles on the intersection of gender, ethnicity and class in environmental movements and theoretical work on the migration-development nexus.
- 2010. MA,Middle Eastern Studies, University of Naples "L'Orientale"
- 2008. BA, Middle Eastern Studies, University of Naples "L'Orientale"
Distinctions / Awards
- Fall 2014 and Spring 2016: Bastian Transnational Dissertation Fellowship
- May 2013. Transatlantic Summer Institute in European Studies Fellowship, University of Minnesota
- Teacher Ranked as Excellent by Students. University of Illinois Urbana Champaign for the following courses: Social Research Methods (Soc 380), Introduction to Sociology (Soc 100), Advanced Methods of Field Research (Soc 480) and Introduction to Global Studies (GLBL 100)
- August 2010. Bastian Fellowship for Incoming Graduate Students, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- May 2007. Undergraduate Student Fellowship, Regione Campania
- Introduction to Global Studies (Lecturer)
- TA: Introduction to Sociology, Social Research Methods, Advanced Methods of Field Research, Technology and Society
- "Taking Out the Garbage: Migrant women's unseen environmental work." European Journal of Women's Studies (2017):
- Bonatti, Valeria. "Mobilizing Around Motherhood: Successes and Challenges for Women Protesting against Toxic Waste in Campania, Italy." Capitalism, Nature, Socialism 26.4 (2015): 158 - 175.