Brian Dill PhD
Associate Professor of Sociology
Associate Professor of Center for African Studies
Center for Global Studies
Associate Professor, Sociology of Geography and Geographic Information Science
Associate Professor of LAS Global Studies
- Address: 3020 Lincoln Hall
720 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
Champaign, IL 61820
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CV: Download my C.V.
- Visit Website
- Tuesdays, 12:00-2:30
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- development, political sociology, globalization, sustainability, renewable energy
My research addresses two interdependent issues in sociology: the production, nature, and application of state power; the meaning, processes, and practices of international development. To date I have used one particularly pervasive approach to development - i.e., community-based development - as a lens to understand not only how the supposed division between state and society is produced but also why the idea or effect of the state has a significant political reality.
- PhD., University of Minnesota
- Soc 122: Africa in World Perspective
- Soc 196: Introduction to Poverty
- Soc 226: Political Sociology
- Soc 364: Impacts of Globalization
- Soc 561: Development Theories
- Global Studies 350: Poverty in a Global Context
- Global Studies 450: Poverty Interventions and Evaluation
- Dill, Brian. Fixing the African State: Recognition, Politics, and Community-Based Development in Tanzania. . New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2013.
- Dill, Brian, and Ron Aminzade. Historians and the Study of Protest. . Chapter Book. Dordrecht: Springer, 2017.
- Dill, Brian, and Ben Crow. "The colonial roots of inequality: access to water in urban East Africa." Water International 39.2 (2014): 187-200.
- Bohr, Jeremiah , and Brian Dill. "Who Beneﬁts from Market-Based Carbon Mitigation?." Perspectives on Global Development and Technology (2011):
- Dill, Brian. "Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) and Norms of Participation in Tanzania: Working Against the Grain." African Studies Review 53(2):23–48 (2010):
- Dill, Brian J. "The Paradoxes of Community-Based Participation in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania." Development and Change (2009):
- Dill, Brian. "Public-Public Partnerships in Urban Water Provision: The Case of Dar es Salaam." Journal of International Development (2009):
- Dill, Brian. Governing Africa’s Cities. . Political Sociology 2009 Newsletter. 2009.
- Sociology of Development
- Global and Transnational Sociology
- Environmental Sociology