Ilana Redstone Akresh
Associate Professor of Sociology
Ilana Redstone Akresh is an Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Originally from Amherst, Massachusetts, Professor Akresh obtained her BA at the University of New Hampshire and her Ph.D from the University of Pennsylvania. She has been at the University of Illinois since 2005.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
Akresh's work has focused on legal permanent residents to the United States. Using a quantitative analytic approach, Akresh has addressed questions surrounding a variety of dimensions of immigrant adaptation to the U.S.
Professor Akresh has also written on the discipline of Sociology and the divisions therein.
Akresh's research questions have expanded to consider education in public schools, with a particular focus on gifted education.
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- SOC 280, Introduction to Social Statistics
- SOC 485, Intermediate Social Statistics
- SOC 163, Social Problems
- Entry on Duration of Residence in Encyclopedia of Migration. . 2014.
- "Beyond English Proficiency: Rethinking Immigrant Integration." Social Science Research (2014):
- "Home Equity of New Legal Immigrants to the United States: An Evaluation of Three Key Theoretical Perspectives." International Migration Review 47.3 (2013):
- "Social Patterning in Body Mass Index (BMI) among Contemporary Immigrant Groups: the Emergence of a Gradient." Demography 50.3 (2012):
- "U.S. Migration, Translocality, and the Acceleration of the Epidemiological Transition in Mexico." Annals of the American Association of Geographers 105.5 (2012):
- "“Immigrants’ Religious Participation in the United States." Ethnic and Racial Studies 34.4 (2011):
- "At the Intersection of Self and Other: English Language Ability and Immigrant Labor Market Outcomes." Social Science Research (2011):
- "Using Achievement Tests to Measure Language Assimilation and Language Bias among Immigrant Children." Journal of Human Resources 46.3 (2011):
- "Wealth Accumulation among U.S. Immigrants: A Study of Assimilation and Differentials." Social Science Research 40 (2011):
- McConnell, Eileen D., and Ilana R. Akresh. ""Housing Cost Burden and New Lawful Immigrants in the United States"." Population Research and Policy Review (2010):
- Frank, Reanne, Ilana R. Akresh, and Bo Lu. ""Latino Immigrants and the U.S. Racial Order: How and Where Do They Fit In?"." American Sociological Review (2010):
- Akresh, Ilana R. ""Wealth Accumulation among U.S. Immigrants: A Study of Assimilation and Differentials"." Social Science Research (2010):
- Akresh, Ilana R. ""Health Service and Hospital Usage Patterns among Immigrants to the United States"." Population Research and Policy Review 28.6 (2009): 795-816.
- "Health Selection among New Immigrants." American Journal of Public Health 98.4 (2008):
- "Occupational Trajectories of Legal U.S. Immigrants: Downgrading and Recovery." Population and Development Review 34.3 (2008): 435-456.
- "Overweight and Obesity among Foreign-Born and U.S.-Born Hispanics." Biodemography and Social Biology 54.2 (2008): 183-199.
- "Dietary Assimiliation and Health among Hispanic Immigrants to the United States." Journal of Health and Social Behavior 48.4 (2007): 404-417.
- "U.S. Immigrants Labor Market Adjustment: Additional Human Capital Investment and Earnings Growth." Demography 44.4 (2007): 865-881.
- Population, Health, and Life Course